Becoming a WTM scholar: Why do you want to become one and how do you become one?

I was honored to be chosen as a 2017 Women Techmakers scholar. As a WTM scholar I was awarded a generous scholarship and was invited to a retreat in Google offices in London. In the retreat I met wonderful ladies, learned about personal branding, transforming ideas to actions, tips for writing CV and interviewing and what food at Google office is like ;)
Ever since I hosted events to engage our future scientists into loving science, empowering woman and promoting STEM. One of my initiatives is this blog.



So how was it for me?
2014 – Rejection.
2015 – Rejection.
2016 – Didn't finish my application.
2017 – WTM scholar!

So after applying for WTM 3.5 times I wanted to share with you my tips for the application. The application includes 4 essay questions which have been similar in the past years.

  1. 5 Minute Speech
     – Be real. From what I experienced people come to learn CS for very different reasons, and that’s the beauty of it.
    - Tell your story and avoid using clichés. Thought I couldn’t avoid the fact that coding is the closest thing you’ll have to a superpower.
  2. Technical Project
    - Technical people are reviewing this part of your application, so don’t be afraid to use formulas, but still be aware you define new concepts to make sure they are on the same page.
     – Preferably write about a project relevant to Google. In my first application I wrote about a project I was volunteering at, SpaceIL which is a part of Google Lunar X Prize competition. Eventually I understood that thought it is a Google competition, doesn’t have enough to do with CS and Google’s daily fields of interest. In my successful application I talked about a research project I did in Natural Language Processing which is very relevant to Google IL today.
    - If possible, add a reference letter from the supervisor you conducted the technical project.
  3. Leadership
    – Military service won’t cut it. In my first application I wrote about my service as a commander and how I influenced my soldiers.  I think they are looking for more initiatives and natural impact on your environment.
    - Your leadership experience doesn’t have to be technically related.
    - I told them about initiating and being the social involvement coordinator at EE committee and then working as the volunteer coordinator at the Technion’s student union. I emphasized my passion, my ability to take ideas and make them come to life and my influential power.
  4. 50/50 
    - Collect knowledge. Read books, articles, ask key people at your university try to think of personal examples.
    - Write about everything you ever did to promote science or woman in science ans show you're passionate about this matter.
    - If you are seeking for inspiration you can get loads of it from watching GHC keynotes or reading lean in by Sheryl Sandburg.
    - Get involved in one project: QueenB, shecodes, מהממט, projects at your university and anything you’re passionate about.

    General tips:
    - Be creative. I won’t tell you how to be creative since that’s kind of an oxymoron. But make sure your application stands out.

    - Try again next year. This is the best tip I can give you! I have applied 3 (and a half) times! If you meet the criteria and don’t get WTM scholarship or actually anything you want, try again next year! When you try again next year don’t re-submit the same application but try to see where have you evolved, what experience did you gain and share your new knowledge.

    - Give back. Either if you’re selected or not. You are a CS student! You have superpowers! Do something about it and give back to your community.

    Good Luck!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

מלגות הצטיינות לסטודנטיות בהנדסת חשמל / מדעי המחשב

Themyscira: GHC 2017 Orlando – My Kind of Theme Park